Saturday 17 May 2014

Desert Graves

Over the years, I have collected a number of official war photographs that I found at Militaria Fairs, Several of them show Axis graves in North Africa. I can remember my elder brother telling me that while him and my parents were in Cyreniaca in the late 40s, he was able to wander around in the desert which was littered with abandoned military vehicles and equipment. He had a pretty impressive collection of wartime memorabilia that he had 'liberated'.

Graves of German soldiers killed in the recent battle. It does not take
the enemy long to erect crosses over the graves of their fallen me
I believe the soldier is a member of the Army Film and Photographic Unit (AFPU)

German graves in the Western Desert

Broken airscrew blades mark the graves of Axis airmen killed in action against the Allied Air Forces in the Western Desert. Live bombs and 20mm ammunition decorate the Italian grave in the foreground 11 Nov 42

No comments:

Welcome to the Graveyard Detective

An illustrated look at the World of Graveyards and Cemeteries. There are many Stories behind the Stones that Stand in them. Who knows what we might find?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...