Wednesday 10 October 2012

In Memoriam

I was looking through some recently rediscovered items from my collection and found a black-edged envelope upon which someone had pencilled 'Mother's'. It was sealed. I carefully opened it and found an in memoriam card. I have some unusual such cards in my collection, but this was different. It marked the death of William and Emily Bottomley who both died the same day in 1924 and buried together in Pontefract, Yorkshire. In the 1901 Census, He is described as a Coal Pit Deputy (below). He died of bronchitis and she of influenza and bronchitis. A photograph of their grave can be found HERE if you are a member of Ancestry.


No comments:

Welcome to the Graveyard Detective

An illustrated look at the World of Graveyards and Cemeteries. There are many Stories behind the Stones that Stand in them. Who knows what we might find?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...